We Are The Blog, All My Guns, Last Breath for a Capulet and Michael Sporre in Mankato – Oct. 14, 2012

By: Zach Thoms

In October, my friend Aaron booked his first show at the What’s Up Lounge in Mankato. The venue is nothing amazing, but it’s always fun to go see local bands and I’ve always loved it. Aaron’s friend Michael Sporre opened the show playing some acoustic finger picking that included a Maroon 5 cover and a cover of “Ocean” by John Butler that was quite impressive, especially considering it was obvious he had been drinking quite a bit before the show.

The first full band to play was a young local band called Last Breath for a Capulet. It was evident that they haven’t had much experience playing shows. They had a lot of trouble keeping in time with each other and while the screamer, rhythm guitarist, and bassist had a lot of energy, the lead guitar player and the clean vocalist pretty much didn’t move the entire set. This band just needs a lot more practice before playing another show.

Next up was the Minneapolis hardcore/metal band All My Guns. With quick riffs and disgusting screaming, this band impressed me quite a bit. I didn’t really know what to expect but they had a ton of energy and put on a great show. The vocalist, Ian Nash, occasionally jumped down into the crowd to interact with his audience. Truly a great band that is all about having fun with their fans.

The night’s headliner, We Are the Blog, a hardcore band that regularly play the Garage in Burnsville, had some complications. Apparently, the night before, after playing a show in Iowa, one of their vocalists became ill and had to be taken to the hospital. As a result, he didn’t make it to the show in Mankato. Their bassist also stayed behind for support. So, even though being two members short, We Are (almost) the Blog still wanted to play the show and did a pretty good job. One of their guitarists covered the bass part and the other vocalist was able to handle most of the lyrics on his own. They did sound less full than they usually do, but still managed to pull it off and that’s all I would expect from a band going through something like that and not having time to find replacements.

blog comments powered by Disqus